Referee Murdered

No. 68 Friday, March 19, 2010
A popular football referee was killed in the second city yesterday (Thursday) morning. Andre Gayle, age 29, who also worked as a security guard employed to Camp­bell's Chartered Security Services, was shot and killed while on duty at the Ovista Guest House in Richmond Hill.

    Information garnered, revealed that at 1:15 a.m. on Friday, Gayle was on duty when two gunmen, pretending to be guests, acted as if they were checking in.
    The guard and another man were in the process of showing the men the outlay of the com­pound, when the miscreants reportedly brandished handguns and shot Gayle in the upper body. The killers then fled the scene, making good their escape in a vehicle parked on the premises.
    When the police arrived, Gay­le was found lying on his back in a pool of blood along the drive­way leading to the main entrance of the resort.
    A .45 cartridge and over ten 9mm casings were retrieved.
    Gayle was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. The body was then taken to the morgue pending a post mortem.
    A supervisor at Campbell's Chartered Security related that the Gayle was no doubt one of their top guards and was a major asset to the company. According
to him, Gayle was known to all as a trustworthy, kind and friendly individual, who was always on top of his job.
    Tributes poured in on Thursday from the western football governing body, claiming that the slain Gayle was
one of the most promising young referees in the region.
    Gayle is remembered for his contribution in recent times to the Senior League, Western Confed Super League, Division One and daCosta Cup games. He was an astute referee.
    George Evans, President St. James Football Association, in a release to the Western Mirror said: "It is with great regret that we have had to announce that all games scheduled today (Thursday, March 18) in the St. James CLARO Senior League have had to be canceled due to the untimely death of one of our referees. Gayle, who was scheduled to officiate in the Melbourne versus Gully Ambassadors, game was shot dead this morning at his work place as a security guard. On behalf of the STJFA, we offer our sincere condolences."

1 comment: