17 year-old Anchovy High graduate gains 11 CSEC subjects

No. 132 Wednesday, August 25, 2010
By Volney Barrett
He attained a Grade One in the CSEC examinations last year. That was not enough to prevent his critics from giving up on him. This year, he was adamant that he wanted some additional distinctions in the other 10 subjects he wrote in the examinations.

   Chueyen Douvane McIntyre did not name his critics in his interview with the Western Mirror; however, he said that they pushed him to work even harder. When he went to collect his examination results at the Anchovy High School, he was pleased to see that he had gained passes in all 10 subjects which he sat in CSEC — the Caribbean Secondary Examination Certificate, this year.
    “There were a few critics...1 was not intimidated by those persons who thought I could not get my subjects,” McIntyre asserted.
    In 2009, he attained a distinction (Grade One) in Human and Social Bio1og. This year, he got distinctions in Food and Nutrition, “English Language and Integrated Science. He received credits (Grade Twos) in Agricultural Science, Biology Chemistry, Physics, Home Economics Management and Mathematics. He was awarded a Grade Three in Geography.
    “Some a dem seh me naa come out to nutten, me a go tun wuckless, me a waste time a school and a follow bad company,” he recounted.
    The ambitious 17 year- old, whose long-term dream is to enter the field of medicine, said that he was disappointed that he did not get more distinctions; however, he is happy that he has been able to prove his critics wrong.
    “I am kind of disappointed but I feel extremely proud of myself and 1 think I did very well,” McIntyre said. “I did not think I would have gotten Mathematics and a distinction in English and some of the other passes ... I was really fretting about them.”
    He said that preparations began in April; their subject teachers used various strategies to prepare them. Some of those include using past papers from as a far back as 1995 up to 2009; quizzes as well as in-class debates and discussions.
    “Preparation was stressful, very hectic; I had many sleepless nights and lots of headaches and I even went home late many evenings because of group study,” a very relieved McIntyre added.
    The future medical practitioner, graduated from Anchovy High School in June. He has applied to the Herbert Morrison Technical High School to pursue a Natural Sciences Course at the sixth form level. He will do Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations (CAPE) level studies in the subject areas of Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
    McIntyre’s academic success comes after that of his younger brother who gained a place at Herbert Morrison Technical High School following his success in the 2010 Grade Six Achievement Test (GSAT).
    “I want to do my CAPE then move on to teachers college, then to do a degree in Chemistry another in Medical Technology and then medicine,” he shared.
    Susan Esmie, who taught him Home and Family Management in Grades Seven and Eight, has known McIntyre since he was seven.
    “I am very proud of him...I’ve known him since he was seven and I have known his difficulties,” Esmie said.
    According to her, she is especially proud of his performance in the examinations despite the recent loss of his grandmother, whom he was very close to.
    “He is a determined boy who tries to think outside of the box ... he goes beyond the norm of what you ask him to do ... he tries to be creative,” she added.
    The teacher, who also attends the same church with him, says that he is a “friendly and very charming young man.”
    “I want to thank all my subject teachers and all who supported me during my preparation including Mrs. Lesmore Witter and Miss Claudette Hudson,” he expressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment