[SPORTS]:::'Blue Tide' Rising

No. 64 Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Andre Patterson registered a hat-trick of goals against parish rivals Petersfield FC in Sunday's Western Confed Super League to propel Reno to a comfortable 4-2 win at the Frome Sports Complex.

    Patterson got his team's first in the 6th from a beautifully crafted attack, his second in the 36th minute this time following on an attack down the right flank. The goal restored the home team's lead after Dave Drummond had equalized a minute earlier for Petersfield.
    The spritely midfielder would ensure his treble of goals on the evening when he powered home another cross in the 65th.
    Billed as a derby of sorts, Petersfield, who lost to the same opponents 2-0 in the first round, might have harboured hopes of an upset, but their plans went like the wind. As soon as referee Jeffery Reece blew the opening whistle, Reno, who were booted from the Flow Champions Cup in mid-week, looked purposeful in attack and soon had their opponents pinned inside their own defensive third.
    Not long after the game begun Patterson, who would prove to be a constant thorn in Petersfield's side, was duly rewarded for his early work when he converted a . good pass left of the 18 yards box to beat Raldo Mowatt in goal for Petersfield to open the score.
    His industrious play along with that of the seasoned Patrick Graham, Nyron Davis and team captain Linval Wilson showed why they occupy the top spot in the confed. 

   At times the teams played without the fire expected from a parish derby, but all that was to be changed, as tackles began flying keeping the referee a pivotal person throughout the contest.
    The visitors came within a whisker of leveling the score, but a Fitzroy Reid shot from an acute angle zipped wide of the left upright. Their moment did come when 10 minutes before the end of the half, Drummond scored.
    Pressed to restore their lead, Reno's 'blue tide' swept forward at a pace that left not one, but three defenders out of position. The resulting cross was beautifully met by Patterson whose powerful header left Mowatt no chance.
    After the break, the one-way traffic continued and Reno never eased off the throttle. Ten minutes into the break, Nyron Davis' break­neck speed carried him past two defenders. His pinpoint cross found Evan Taylor in space and the he made no mistake from close range. Reno now had a two goal advantage.
    Patterson capped a splendid afternoon when in the 65th minute he benefitted again from a right sided cross to powerfully kick into the goal and the Reno supporters knew that victory was almost theirs.
    With tensions rising it was almost inevitable that a player could be sent to an early shower and so it proved when Patrick Graham, already on a caution looked like he was fouled reacted to .the tackle and picked­up another yellow which resulted in the referee showing him the red card.
    In the 78th minute, down a man, Reno pressed for another goal but Petersfield responded swiftly and moved deep into Reno's 18 yard box, where Randell Morris was adjudged to have impeded the attacking player and a penalty was awarded.
    Carlyle Gayle converted from the spot to make the score a little more respectful, but there was to be no victory dance for the travellers.

pnc.westernmirror (at) yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment